St. James' Church
St. James' Church in Kolkata is one of Kolkata's most elegant churches. Built in 1862, the twin spires of the St. James' Church dominates Kolkata's skyline. It is popularly known as Jora Girja literally meaning twin church for its twin spires. The present Church was built to replace an older one of the same name which was situated in Nebutolla Lane, near Amherst Street. This earlier Church was built very much after the style and plan of St. Thomas Church, Free School Street The foundation stone of the new Church was laid on 7 June, 1862, by the Honorable John Peter Grant, acting Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal, at the south-east corner of the foundations. Entering the Church from the west-end which is not provided with a vestibule, one comes into full view of the large and lofty Nave, with its lengthy marbled aisle stretching to the great arches of the Cross. On both sides of the Nave are five pointed arches opening to the Ambulatories, situated on the outer sides. The pews, which run from north to south, are approached from the central aisle and each contains six large and roomy chairs. Above the Nave, as well as the galleries and transepts, are gabled roofs in stained teakwood supported on ornamented arches, the trusses being coupled and elaborately carved in the geometric decorative style. The roofs although massive in appearance, are handsome in structure. It may interest readers that no nails have been used in the teakwood beams only wooden plugs.
The Twin Spires
The twin spires, one of which contains a clock, is joined by a beautiful triangular pediment. The interior contains a long passageway leading to the alter. But the star attraction of the St. James' Church is the beautifully decorated black mahogany wood work at the ceiling. Something so durable, that even the termites of Kolkata have spared it for 146 years. But the termites haven't spared the wooden floor of the second level. With the church crumbling again the parishioners finally decided to give it a face-lift.
The construction of Writers building began as early as in 1690. It got its name owing to the fact that it served as the dwelling place for the junior writers of the East India Company. The original Writers Building of Kolkata, India did not have any architectural beauty. It was on the same site that another Writers` Building was created later on.
How to reach
B B D Bagh is the Railway station which is connected by Circular Rail. Chandi Chowk and Central are nearby Metro Railway stations. Fairlie ferry ghat is nearest ferry ghat. Tram service is also available. It is well connected by bus route.
Shaheed Minar, situated near Esplanade on the Kolkata Maidan, was initially known as Ochterloney Monument. It was named after its founder, Sir David Ochterlony. This magnificent monument was established in the year 1848 so as to mark the founder's victory in the Nepal War (1814-1816). Its foundation is based on the Egyptian style, whereas the main Shaheed Minar in Calcutta and its dome follow Syrian and Turkish designs respectively. It was in 1969 that the Ochterloney Monument got the name 'Shaheed Minar'. It was renamed in the honor of those who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of our country. Presently, the political parties convene meetings over here. Various rallies and seminars also take place behind the Shaheed Minar of Kolkata, India. The tradition of holding political meetings began in 1931when Rabindranath Tagore presided over a convocation meeting held over there.
How to reach
By Road : There are two ways to reach at Shaheed Minar From St. Paul's Cathedral via Chowringhee Rd/Jawaharlal Nehru Rd will take nearabout 14 min (3.5 km), but another Fastest route via Kolkata-Diamond Harbour Rd will also take same time to reach at the Minar.
Public Buses can be hiered also from Rabindra Sadan/Nandan Cinema in regular interval of approx 8 to 10 minutes.
The Victoria Memorial was built to commemorate the peak of the British Empire in India. The Victoria Memorial, conceived by Lord Curzon, represents the architectural climax of Kolkata city. Lord Curzon, the then Viceroy specified its classical style but the actual plan of Victoria Memorial was laid down by the well-known architect, Sir William Emerson.
How to reach
Howrah is the nearest major Railway station. Rabindra Sadan is nearest Metro Railway station. Exide More is nearest bus stop to reach this place. Many buses are available from several part of Kolkata to reach this place.
How to Reach
The nearest airport to St. James Church is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose international airport, Kolkata.
By Train: Nearest railway station is Sealdah and Nearest Metro station is Park Street.
By Road: St. James' Church is situated on A.J.C Bose road, Kolkata. Jora Girja is the nearest bus stop on AJC Bose Road. Many buses are available from Sealdah railway station to reach this place.